“Brookfield is a global asset manager focused on property, power and other infrastructure assets with approximately US$90 billion of assets under management. We own and manage one of the largest portfolios of both premier office properties and hydroelectric power generation facilities as well as transmission and timberland operations, located in North and South America and Europe.”
In my opinion BAM.A is the perfect candidate for a long term hold as they are in relatively recession resistant, renewable areas that will continue to grow in the future. Their five primary areas interest are:
1. Property - $35 billion of property assets under management in North and South America, Europe and Austraila
2. Power – invested primarily in high quality, long life hydroelectric power facilities located primarily in north east North America as well as Brazil.
3. Timber - have 2.5 million acres of high quality timberlands under management
4. Infrastructure – over 11,000 kilometers in Northern Ontario and South America. Over $3 billion transmission assets under management.
5. Equities & Fixed Income - significant experience value investing in real estate and a broad range of other industries and geographic regions.
-Current PE – 17.9X
-ROE – 22.91%
-Current Yield – 1.6%
-5 Year Average Yield – 1.9%
-Current Payout Ratio – 28%
-5 Year Historical Payout Ratio – 78%
-3 year dividend growth rate – 18.95%
-5 year dividend growth rate – 11.6%
I’ve been watching this one for a while and it has finally started to come down to reasonable levels (I’m sure partly because of their 50% ownership of BPO). However, I believe that BPO is also starting to look attractive at these levels as well. I don’t currently have a position in BAM.A but it is one that I will continue to watch closely.
(Disclaimer: I’m am not a financial advisor. Please do your own research and make your opinions on when to buy or sell. Nothing I say should be bastardized or construed in any way to be advice)